Saturday, August 15, 2009

Toeing The Line


I had a fair bit planned for the day. For one thing I was going to knuckle down and write an update for my blog which I have neglected lately. I was going to spend some time doing those tutorials I have been meaning to do. And I was going to do all the usual stuff I do on a Friday. You know, the supermarket shopping, pick kids up, drop kids off, pick kids up, make a great dinner. Unfortunately, the teenager's big toe needed my attention. You see, it had had an unfortunate encounter with another teenager's toe, or foot, or boot or something of the lower appendage type, during a school indoor soccer match. That was yesterday. We thought it was just bruised. "Just keep icing it and stop grizzling!" This morning we're thinking it probably should get looked at by someone with a little more knowledge about blue-green toes than we have. If you are anything like me, you will do almost anything to avoid a trip to Accident & Emergency. Because the pain of spending hours in the waiting room is almost as unbearable as that being endured by the patient. But an X-ray was in order and that's something I can't do myself. Actually, today it all happened fairly quickly. Three hours later, x-rays done, half-cast fitted, lessons on use of crutches completed I decided to give him some practice by going around the supermarket with me so at least I'd get that done. The remainder of the day involves racing home, unpacking shopping, collect kids from dancing, race home, get them changed for soccer training, drop kids off at soccer training, hang around park for an hour, get home and do dinner. Decide the best option for dinner is something that can go in the oven while I'm at the park so I'm trying out a Chicken Biryani recipe I came across. I can do some of it before I pick up the kids from dancing, then finish it off and get it in the oven while they get ready for soccer training. It needs to be sealed really well to keep all the moisture in otherwise it tends to dry out. It is very fragrant and tasy.

Chicken Biryani (serves 4-6)

1 1/2 cups Basmati rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 whole green cardamom pods
2-3 whole cloves
Cinnamon stick
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 onions sliced
700g chicken breast cubed
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves chopped
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
juice of 1 lemon
4 tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
2/3 cup natural yoghurt
pinch saffron strands soaked in 150ml hot water
3 tablespoons toasted flaked almonds and fresh coriander leaves to garnish

Preheat the oven to 190˚C. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the rice, salt, and whole spices. Boil for two minutes then draining leaving the whole spices in the rice.

Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onions for 8 minutes, until browned and softened. Add the chicken followed by all the ground spices, the garlic, ginger and lemon juice. Stir-fry for five minutes.

Transfer the chicken mixture to an ovenproof casserole and lay the tomatoes on top. Sprinkle on the fresh coriander, spoon over the yoghurt and top with the drained rice.

Drizzle the saffron water over the top. Cover tightly and bake in the oven for 1 hour. Transfer to a warmed serving platter and remove the whole spices from the rice. Garnish with toasted almonds and fresh coriander sprigs. Serve with natural yoghurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment