Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bottled Energy & Essence Of Youth


If there's one thing I've learned in my journey as a parent it is that children have boundless energy. It also gives me wisdom in hindsight and if there was just one pearl of it that I could give young women it would be to have your children while you are young - don't wait until later in life. When you are young is when your energy levels are most likely to match those of your children. You are also a little less set in your ways and possibly a little more tolerant. Perhaps these sentiments come to mind as I struggle to the end of another school vacation day which has been wet and cold. The opportunities to expend some of that energy have been limited and after a pretty unproductive day in front of TV and computer the annoyance levels being emitted by my children seem to have peaked. Maybe it is because I was 35 when I had my first child and therefore my energy levels, which are being tested by the approach of menopause, are definitely not in sync with my childrens'. Most likely, it is a combination of both. At 15, my eldest is teaching himself German. He has a chance to visit Germany next year and is putting a lot of energy into picking up some of the language. We are being beset with all sorts of strange enunciations as he practices each new verbal jewel. If I could bottle my younger childrens' energy and combine it with their brother's commmitment to his current project, what a dish I could make! We'll just have to settle for a great lamb curry that has always been a favourite and one I do often.

Mutton Kari
(Madras Style Meat Curry)

Serves 6

1.5kg (3lb) lamb forequarter chops
3 tablespoons oil or ghee
10 curry leaves
3 medium onions finely chopped
3 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
3-4 teaspoons chilli powder or to taste
3 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons dessicated coconut
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
2 or 3 fresh green chillies, split halfway from tip

Cut chops in large pieces leaving bone in. Heat oil or ghee in a large heavy saucepan and fry the curry leaves until brown. Add onions, garlic and ginger and fry until soft and golden. Add turmeric and fry for a few seconds, then put in chilli powder, coriander and cumin and fry for one minute.
Add salt and vinegar and stir until liquid evaporates, then put in the meat and stir until it is coated wioth the spices. Add green chillies, lower heat and cook until meat is tender. Juices come from the meat and there should be no need to add water.
Meanwhile, roast the coconut in a dry pan until golden brown. Grind in electric blender until finely ground and if necessary, add 1/2 cup of the coconut milk to facilitate blending. Blend at high speed for 30 seconds. Add to the curry together with the rest of the coconut milk and simmer uncovered until gravy is thick. Serve with rice and accompaniments.

Loads of great Indian cookbooks here!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for tweeting me the link, this looks delicious.

    Your son sounds like a fine young man, teaching himself German. Dawn's bf is half Austrian and half Chinese and speaks both German and Chinese and they cannot pronoucne many of our letters including saying her (Dawn's) name because of the a- they say more of an oww sound. The German is very gutteral.

    It's great your son will have a chance to go, tell him if he gets the opportunity to take the train (very cheap) into Austria as it is stunningly beautiful.

    Dddiva

    I am ready for bed but bookmarking your site so I can come get to know you better. I love how technology brings the world to my fingertips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dddiva,

    Thank you for taking the time to post your comment. I appreciate the praise and it's great to know that my posts are being enjoyed. We (the son referred to and I) had a chance to visit China with his school soccer a few years ago. At the time I thought I would learn a few words of Chinese as I really do believe in making that effort when visiting another country. After listening to a couple of podcasts I quickly gave the idea away on learning the the same word pronounced the same but just with a different inflection or stress an a different part of the word have entirely different meanings!

    ReplyDelete