Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Exciting Possibilities


It's cold and raining. It's a day for doing online tutorials, putting the washing in the dryer and flicking through cooking mags. I've found a simple beef casserole to do tonight and I can get it on early so it'll be ready for later. Wednesdays are hectic for us. I pick up the girls from school and we have just enough time to rush home and get a quick bite to eat before I take them to the next village for piano lessons. Their older brother will go there straight from his school. They each get half an hour then I pick them up. While they are gone I will be getting together my son's soccer practice gear, making him an afternoon snack and sorting out anything else that needs doing before dinner. So I pick up the kids at 5:00, race home, drop off the girls, then take my son to his soccer practice which starts at 5:30. Today we have an extra commitment which is really kind of exciting. I am taking our eldest son into the city for an information session about overseas student exchange. If we go ahead he may be heading off this time next year for a year in Germany! My husbands comes from German stock. His parents migrated to Australia in the 50's so it is the logical place for him to want to go. My son's dream is to play soccer at a high level so the chance to play a season in Germany adds to the exciting possibilities of this opportunity. He has been listening to German podcasts and we have been borrowing german language books and dictionaries from the local library. He also wants me to start cooking some german style food so "he can get used to it". I've told him it's not really that different to what we eat already but expect to maybe see some german style dinners pop up from time to time. Anyway, I better go get started on that casserole.

Beef and Potato Casserole

2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons plain flour
1kg cubed gravy beef or chuck steak
1 brown onion chopped
4 garlic cloves peeled
2 carrots peeled and chopped
2 celery sticks chopped
2 sprigs rosemary
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 1/2 cups beef stock
400g can diced tomatoes
4 paotatoes, peeled and sliced

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Place the flour and beef in a bowl or plastic bag and toss to coat, shaking off any excess. Cook the steak in batches for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Set aside. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery and rosemary to the pan and cook stirring for 8-10 minutes or until browned. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add the beef to the pan with the stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 30-40 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook for a further 45-55 minutes or until tender. Serves 4-6

There's also a yummy beef casserole on the Masterchef site.

If you like my blog share it here

Ever wished you could cook your favourite family restaurant dishes at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment