Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Rites Of Passage

We are having one of those pivotal moments in our house today. Our teenage son is being permitted to do something for the first time which is just another step in his path to independence. It is something that he has been trying to get permission to do for some time now and which his father is still against but I have relented on. It is nothing major. It just involves catching a train with his mates to the movies in a large regional centre which happens to be located on the fringe of an area known for bad behaviour among its youth population. His father grew up in a similar area and his attitude is understandable. He is our eldest and breaking these boundaries will always be more difficult for him than for his younger siblings, I realise. I experienced the same as the eldest in my family. It means I am a little pre-occupied today and may not get everything done that I intend. I'll need to get dinner on a bit early today and I think it will be an old standby, Spaghetti Bolognaise. Mine is fairly simple. I don't use mushrooms or bacon or red wine. I also don't use water or thickeners. The flavour comes from caramelising the vegetables at the beginning and simmering the dish slowly and gently allowing the flavour to develop as the liquid reduces and thickens. It is one meal that every member of our household likes. I'll often cook a double quantity and freeze half for another day.

Spaghetti Bolognaise

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 brown onion chopped fine
1 carrot, peefed and grated
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped very fine
500g minced beef
1 tablespoon paprika
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
pinch salt
pich dried mixed herbs
1 tablespoon tomato paste

In a medium size saucepan heat oil gently over medium heat. Add onion, carrot & tomato and cook gently until soft and browned slightly. Increase heat and add mince. Cook while stirring constantly to break up lumps and brown through. Add paprika and cook for a few minutes then add tinned tomatoes, salt and herbs. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover pan and simmer for about 45 minutes. Remove lid, add tomato paste and cook for a further 15 minutes uncovered until sauce is thick and rich in colour. Serve with spaghetti, parmesan cheese, salad and crusty bread.

I found this interesting clip on the background to spaghetti and the cooking styles of Bologna. The viewpoint is an extremely traditional one and gives a little insight into the differences between people from different regions of Italy.



If you like my blog share it here

No comments:

Post a Comment