Friday, July 10, 2009

Last Day Of Term - Pumpkin Soup


It's the last day of term. School breaks up today for a two week break. We'll be able to get a bit more creative next week and the kids can give me a hand in not only the cooking but the meal selection as well. Could see some interesting choices. It will all depend how imaginative they are feeling. I know we usually just have pizza on Fridays but I'm really getting rather bored with that routine. So I've decided it's about time I did my special pumpkin soup. Its warming and creamy and delicious. The secret to my pumpkin soup is the extras I add to it. Strictly speaking it should be called Pumpkin, Potato, Carrot & Kumera Soup but that doesn't really roll off the tongue. So Pumpkin Soup it is. If I get started on peeling the veges now, before I head out for my weekly shop, it will be a cinch to pop it on and just let it simmer away while the girls are at dancing and soccer training. I just saw the most amazing thing on the web. I'm not sure how long it has been around but I'm guessing it's been in the US a little while. Of course, being summer over there it is absolutely the right time to launch a product like this.It's called the Big Green Egg and that's exactly what it looks like. It's kind of a cross between a Weber and a mexican chiminea. It's an enclosed charcoal griller that functions much like a slow combustion heater in that it burns fuel very efficiently. According to one site I came across, "the Big Green Egg is a ceramic grill derived from an ancient clay cooker. A smoker, a grill and an oven all in one, the ceramic walls preserve heat with accurate temperature control and no hot spots. The grill has received a cult like following since it was introduced in 1974. Devout fans of all ages call themselves "Eggheads"." So this thing has been around for a while so I'm wondering why we haven't seen it here in Australia yet. You'd think it would be a perfect market. Anyway, I'm off to make soup but if you need an escape to warmer climes maybe a holiday in Phuket is the answer.

Pumpkin Soup for a family of six

1 leek, white and a little of the light green part sliced
1kg approximately pumpkin peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
1 large carrot peeled and cut into chunks
1 small kumera (orange sweet potato) peeled and cut into chunks
1-2 potatoes
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup approx milk

In a large pot in a little butter or oil, gently saute the leek until soft. Add vegetables and stir until mixed with leek. Pour over enough stock to cover. Cover pan and simmer until vegetables are tender. Turn off heat and let cool slightly then blend in batches (make sure you keep your hand on top of the blender unless you want to change the colour scheme of your kitchen). Return soup to pan. Add enough milk until you have the colour and consistency you like. Reheat gently and season with salt and pepper.

If you like my blog share it here

BiddingForGood.com Spring Prod Assort 468 X 60

No comments:

Post a Comment